Friday, March 25, 2011

Deep Thoughts with Heather










thorncrown-chapel.jpg
photo by Carol M. Highsmith


I know, I know…I’ve broken the blog-world rules: it’s been TOO LONG since my last post. I would fill you in on the details of the last couple of weeks (since I’m sure you’re all dying to know what’s activities have filled my exciting schedule), but since I don’t want to use my brain energy to recall everything, I will just say that I’ve been traveling (here among other places), volunteering, and doing some deep thinking.

Yes, you heard me correctly - deep thinking. Thinking about life questions and different worldviews. Truth and deception. The fact that we seem to be living in the last days of this earth.

So, if you’d like to take a peak into the mind of a genius (okay, or just my mind) here’s what I believe:

There is a God, and He is good.
There is a devil too, but he’s bad news.
Jesus came so that we could have abundant life; He said so.
The devil only comes to steal, kill and destroy.

God’s purpose in making mankind was so that He could have relationship.
There is no true love without free will.
Free will means that He does not control us; therefore everything that happens on earth is not God’s will. (It is not God’s will for me to go murder someone or speak hurtful words to my spouse.)
God is All-Powerful, but He’s set up a system that He operates within. He’s bound himself to His word (He CANNOT lie.).

So, I guess what I want to say in this random-feeling post. Is that when disaster hits your own life – like has just happened for millions in Japan. Please don’t automatically assume that you are suffering at the hand of God or experiencing God’s judgment (which I still believe in). Know there are people out there who are not submitting to God. Know there is a devil out there who loves to bring pain and death. Know that we live in a fallen world that is falling apart due to the effects of sin.

But there is hope. One of the amazing things about God is that He takes actions or events that were meant for evil and somehow causes them to work some good in our lives (Gen. 50:20; Romans 8:28). Again, this doesn’t mean He initiated all of the happenings, but He is smart and creative and can work good in spite of evil.

And that’s what I believe; what about you?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather!
    My apologies for just getting back to you! My comments don't come to my current inbox.

    Oh sorry about the name! My co-author came up with it and we've been running it for about three years now. Thank you for the encouragement. It is always heartening to find another kindred spirit.

    I love your blog! Very cute and appealing. I've been reading it when I get the chance. I think it's just fine with the name you have. I just put up a post at HHH if you want to drop in!

    ReplyDelete